Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Role of Head Teacher as Instructional Leader


After having an enough theoretical understanding on educational leadership and management in the classroom, the course participants (CPs) were given an opportunity to observe the practices in a real context. The field experience gave me a chance to observe the implementation and its outcomes of theories and styles lively. This filed experience gave me an opportunity to compare my own personal experiences; theories learned in the classroom and observed practices in a different context. It was my perception that government head teachers do not have any influence in leadership and management due to top-down hierarchy. This visit forced me to chance the perception before you observe any thing. I was generalizing that perception that government head teachers do nto have any influence. It was according to my previous observation in different government schools. The principal of this school has a clear vision about the school and has a greater influence in school related activities. In a discussion the school principal shared with us about different practices of the school. School has clear vision about their vision which is “access to quality education to the financial needy students”. To achieve this goal, the school family collaboratively working and utilizing available resources effectively. They have close linkages with parents and community because they felt that the role of parents is very improvement in school improvement. The principal delegated task among teacher and school management committee. This part of action showed that the head teacher believed on distributive leadership. During my visit to the classroom I also observed that teacher were fully prepared for the lesson and engaged the students in active learning. This showed that the teachers were also committed to improve the quality to education in the school. I also interviewed a teacher to know about their practices and routine work in the school. The teacher was much confident to give answer with some concrete evidences.
When I reflected all this process my suddenly changed my perception about government school and rethink about the reasons behind this achievement. I came to some conclusions that when a head of the department will be clear about the vision and is dedicated to achieve the milestone then not any person can stop him/her. The role of the leader was very important which influenced all the staff and students to move towards the common goal. The leader was also inspired with the role of IED in improving the quality of education and shifting teachers approach from traditional view of teaching to modern view of teaching. The head teacher quoted the role of IED regularly in her explanation and discussions.

Overall this was a wonderful experience to develop a conceptual understanding about the role of leadership and management in a different field. I have chosen “the role of head teacher as instructional leader” for my further understanding and assigned task. I want to look at how head teacher play his/her role in developing instructional skills among teachers and how these developed skills help teachers to engage students for active learning. To observe this process I will develop a framework and I will share with you before my intervention. I hope this area will help me how a head teacher’s role as instructional leader is important and how this role foster students learning. This observation and assigned task will help me to develop some skills on role of head teacher as instructional leader. 

No comments:

Post a Comment