Monday, August 22, 2016

My life as a learner

It was after graduation in 2001, I started teaching as a high school teacher in one of the Diamond Jubilee School without having any proper training of teaching. I could easily remember when I started my travel of learning as a teacher; I was not interested in teaching. I was never thought to become a life long teacher. I was in a sense that I would very soon escape from my profession. Therefore, I started teaching the way I was taught. My philosophy of teaching and learning was very much different. I considered students unfilled vessels. This consideration badly influenced on my teaching in the next 2 to 3 years. I had no idea of how to develop lesson plans and use resources for making teaching more effective.


After a few years of teaching, I was given the opportunity to undergo content and methodology workshop. This was the crossroads, which made me little bit cautions about teaching and learning. I learnt how to develop lesson plans and why it is important and few other things for making teaching interesting. After attending those workshops, I started new ways of teaching I tried to implement them in my class. Therefore, I was one of the good teachers of my school. I tried my best to improve my teaching and to enhance students learning. The institution was happy with my improving performance and I was given a chance to be a head teacher in one of Diamond Jubilee School. This was my first experience to run a school as the overall responsible person. Again, I was an untrained head teacher of a school. My approach as a head teacher was very much dictatorial. I believe that the teachers should not have to say in the process of decision-making at school level. This approach encourages teachers to work in isolation. Now when I recall those days I can see that as a leader I was missing distributed leadership approaches therefore teachers were less careful about their tasks. To run the school in a smooth way and to produce good results, I worked very hard without distributing tasks among the teachers and students that is why I could produced good results but could not develop good leaders.

Keeping in view good results of the school and my qualification the institute gave me another chance to improve my professional qualification from Notre Dame Institute of Education Karachi. Before this I was consider myself as a good teacher I knew how to teach and even though students were very happy by my teaching. Some students consider me as their favorite teacher. I usually taught mathematics when I solved a question on the backboard and explained them how to solve it and what is the procedure of solving such kind of questions. The students followed the given procedure and solved questions on the given method. They did not know the practical implementation of such kind of questions. When I studied literature about the teaching and learning, I came to know that I was illiterate in the field of teaching and learning. Because I was thinking that teaching means only transferring the knowledge but it is more than that. What kind of skills am I going to develop among the students after teaching a topic? What kind of behavior am I going to change after teaching a certain topic? The new meaning of education is to develop various skills among students, change their behavior towards a certain goal. I was missing all this when I was teaching before my B.Ed.

After completing my B.Ed, I rejoined the same school as head teacher. Now I was enough sound regarding teaching and learning but still I have less skill on leadership and management. I tried my best to run school as good as possible. Again, my leadership approach was very autocratic I was not delegating task to the teachers. I was conscious about school over all result that how I will improve my school results because I was result-oriented person. I realized many things, which were lacking in administrative point of view but I could not able to take any appropriate actions to overcome them. For example, to develop teachers’ professionally and to create learning environment in the school with the help of my research study. Anyhow, I was taking some initiative in the different fields but they were not as proper and sustainable.

No comments:

Post a Comment