Thursday, March 22, 2012


MY PROFESSIONAL GROWTH IS LIKE GROWTH OF A PLANT

 BY: BASHIR AHMED KHAN (PDT)

INTRODUCTION


Teaching and learning is not a single event rather it is a life long process. Everyone involve intentionally or unintentionally in teaching and learning process in the journey of life. It also takes place formally or informally through our actions and interaction with others. There are different factors which compel human to behave or imitate others. For example, the teachers’ influence is one of the important factors which leave an everlasting effect on students’ life. Wideen (1988) stated that teachers are model of living, learning and growing which reflect among students while dealing with the world. My professional life is also started with a teacher’s influence and is continue with formal and informal learning which is like a growth of a plant. Therefore, I have named it as “my professional growth is like a plant growth”. For me, school is like ‘a garden of knowledge’ where knowledge is been created and shared with each other. The plants with different sizes and colors are like the students with different intelligences. The fruit bearing trees are like teachers who prepare students as useful citizens for the society.

 A YOUNG PLANT INSPIRED BY THE FRUIT BEARING TREE

I was born to an agrarian family not my choice in 1979. My family valued the education more than anything else. Therefore, I was enrolled in a school in 1985. I successfully completed my lower secondary classes without a career direction. After completion of class eighth in 1994, I joined a new garden to grow and nurture with useful nutrients and become a fruit bearing tree for the society in Hunza[1]. The garden was full of different plants, which were grooming with different paces, whereas, fruit bearing trees were preparing tasty fruits and shading people in sunny days. I was a new plant in the garden with a lot of hopes and aspirations of my life.

It was my third day in the school, one of my teachers asked the students to write a brief description about their previous day’s activities. I had a pink rough notebook to write the classroom tasks; I had completed the given task and submitted to the teacher with other fellows. I was unaware with the purpose of this task that why the teacher wanted such tasks in a science class. The teacher was checking our task, meanwhile, the teacher asked students by taking a notebook in his hand and said “whose notebook is this”? I hold-up my head and saw the notebook, I was afraid because it was my notebook. Hardly, I opened my mouth and said like an innocent child, it is my sir. The teacher said “this guy has scientific thinking”. I feel that these remarks were changed my life towards my career. I do not know what special thing I had written in my description but these remarks made me confident. I got enough encouragement because teachers’ encouragement for students is like a plant receives useful nutrients to rapid growth. Afterward, I saw him in my daily imaginations. Therefore, I decided to be a teacher like him in my life. As most of the teachers are inspired by their teachers and join the career (Huberman, 1989, Bashiruddin, 2002). Moreover, I started imitating like him in my spoken language and actions. I realized that a teacher can change the life of students as (Wideen, 1988) stated that beginning teachers enter the profession because they want to work with people to make a difference in lives of their students. Finally, I decided to be a permanent member of the garden in the form of a fruit bearing tree to share some tasteful fruits.

 PLANT HAS INSUFFICIENT NUTRITION

After my graduation in 2000, I immediately joined a school as a teacher to fulfill my ambition of life. As beginning teachers want to share their enthusiasm of learning they developed during their school time (Wideen, 1988). Although, I had insufficient nutrition to grow a complete tree and share some tasteful fruits but my thirst for teaching pushed me to join the career. I thought teaching and learning is an easy task that anyone can perform without any professional experiences but in reality it was against my perception. I perceived teaching is just transferring of knowledge into empty vessels. I considered students as blank slates and it was teacher’s job to draw a shape for students’ personality. However, I taught as I had been taught in my school such as lecture method and copy method. I found that students were not taking interest in my classes. I spent maximum time on motivating students towards the lesson by using harsh words and physical punishment.  Gradually, I became frustrated because I could not achieve what I wanted from students and decided to quit the job as soon as possible. It is similar as Phillai (2005) states that “if ample amount of nutrients are not provided, the plant will lose its color and eventually die.” The experienced teachers were not helping me to learn something about teaching and learning. (Feiman-Nemser as cited in Zillahuma, 2008) suggested beginning teachers need a mentor to take advice from headteacher and experienced teachers. In 2001, I was searching for an appropriate job, meanwhile; some female guests visited our school along with Shafa[2]. They were near to enter my classroom, I intelligently taught the students to say good morning madam. However, Shafa alone entered in my classroom and students said ‘good morning madam’. He replied very politely that I am not a female therefore you can say good morning sir. He took ten minutes in the classroom and I was surprised while observing the motivation level of my students with him. This moment gave me a ‘food for thought’ and created an amalgamated situation in my mind. I started reflecting on my practices to find the differences between my ways of teaching with Shafa. I did not see any major difference but my sixth sense was depicting me that there is something wrong with my way of teaching. I decided to meet with Shafa and discussed my classroom management problems. He appreciated my enthusiasm towards profession and suggested me to attend a training program at PDCN[3]. He also suggested me to go through some formal course such as B.Ed[4], M.Ed[5] and advance diploma courses as (Earley & Bubb, 2004) states that continuous professional development encompasses all formal and informal learning that enable individual to improve their own practices. I realized that the plant was missing some nutrients in becoming a fruit bearing tree and share some tasteful fruits yet. 

 PLANT STARTED RECEIVING USEFUL FLAVORS 

The plant started receiving some useful nutrients in growing a fruit bearing tree. In 2001, I was nominated to attend a formal training on visiting teaching program at PDCN. This course provided me a useful flavor to change my behavior that students are not empty vessels. The students have multiple intelligences and the role of a teacher is to facilitate the students and build on their previous knowledge. Furthermore, the course acted as a means to enhance my reflective practices in teaching. When I applied my learning from the course in my classroom, I saw a positive change in students’ behavior. First time, I felt a need to attend any formal professional development course to justify the experiments “in term of students’ learning” (Feiman-Nemser, 1983).

In 2004, I got a chance to go through the B.Ed. course from NDIE[6] in Karachi. This experience really helped me in bonding a strong relationship with teaching profession.  This experience gave me an in-depth understanding about teaching and learning process. By the time, I started to integrate the theory into practices and I found a drastic change in students’ academic performances and behavior. In addition, my organization also realized my active involvement in school improvement and appreciated me with ‘the best teacher award’ in an academic year. My motivation and attachment with profession became stronger and compelled me to stay in the profession. The organization gave me a chance to lead the school as a headteacher in 2006. However, it was a big challenge for me because I did not have any professional experience of leadership and management but my intrinsic motivation towards profession provoked me to experience this opportunity.

In 2007, I was nominated by the organization to enroll in a leadership and management course (ADE,ELM[7]) from AKU-IED[8].  This intensive training helped me to enhance my insights about school leadership and management. My continuous professional development is not reached at the end here as (Earley & Bubb, 2004) sated that continuous professional development is an ongoing process, including development and training opportunities throughout career. My internal relation with profession forces me to explore deeper understanding about teaching, teacher education and educational leadership and management. Now, I am involved with M.Ed. program at AKU-IED to nourish myself with various professional skills and become like a fruit bearing tree and share some tasty fruits for the entire society.


REFERENCE:

Bashiruddin, A. (2002). Seasons of my learning. In J. Edge (Ed.), Continuing professional
development. Some of our perspectives (pp. 104-114). Kent: IATEFL Publications.

Earley, P. & Bubb, S. (2004). Leading and managing continuing professional development. London: Paul Chapman Publication.

Feiman-Nemser, S. (1983). Learning to teach. In L. Shulman & G. Sykes (Eds.), Handbook of
teaching and policy (pp. 150-170) New York: Longman.

 Huberman, M. (1993). The lives of teachers. New York: Teachers College press.

 Phillai, M. (2005). Plant Growth Process: How Does A Plant. Retrieved on April 4, 2010 from

 Wideen, M. (1988). What does it mean to become a teacher? In P. Holborn, M. Wideen, & I.
Andrews, (Eds.), Becoming a teacher. (pp. 1-18). Kagan and Woo limited: Toronto.

 Zillahuma, (2008). My patchwork quilt. In A. Bashiruddin, & J. Retallik, (Eds.), Becoming a teacher
in the developing world. Pakistan: AKU-IED.







[1] A Place name in Gilgit-Baltistan
[2] Head of professional development center
[3] Professional development center
[4] Bachelors of education
[5] Masters of education
[6] Notre Dame Institute for Educational Development
[7] Advance Diploma in Education, Educational Leadership and Management
[8] Aga Khan University Institute for Educational Development

No comments:

Post a Comment